Ice Age Trail Building Event
Friday, Oct 13, 2017 - 5:00 pm through Sunday, Oct 15, 2017 - 6:00 pm
Ice Age Trail Mobile Skills Crew Trailbuilding Event
Firth Lake Segment, Chippewa County, near Cornell, WI
The trees of the Northwoods are beginning to turn red and gold and, as we say good-bye to summer, a new beginning lies ahead for the Firth Lake Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
Due to the expansion of an All-Terrain Vehicle trail in the Chippewa County Forest, to ensure a non-motorized experience for users of the Ice Age Trail, we are building a newly designed 1.7 miles of improved Ice Age Trail.
To accomplish this, we’ll construct sustainable sidehill tread, wrestle and place rock for use as retaining walls, enjoy night skies, good food, friendship and roaring campfires at nearby Camp Nawakwa. But wait…there’s more!!
Training is provided by certified volunteer crew leaders and all participants get free meals and (for those working with us for multiple days) a free place to pitch a tent.
No experience is necessary. All Abilities are welcome.
- Dress for variable weather — extra layers for warmth is advised.
- Bring sturdy hiking or work boots (no tennis shoes) and leather work gloves. A long-sleeve shirt and pants are recommended for trail work.
- Bring a day pack, water bottles, sunscreen and a hat.
- Bring a headlamp, and toiletries. Bring a lawn chair; you’ll appreciate having it to relax around the fire in comfortable clothes at the end of the day.
- Bring a 20° sleeping bag, and a sleeping pad. If you don't have a 20° sleeping bag, bring 2 sleeping bags, or bring a sleeping bag plus 2 blankets.
We will leave from the Park Street Circle, Friday, October 13th at 5:00 pm. and return to the Park Street Circle by 6:00 pm on Sunday, October 15th. (The Park Street Circle is located at the end of Park St., next to the Memorial Union.)
Please sign up on this website and at http://www.iceagetrail.org/event/mobile-skills-crew-trailbuilding-event-firth-lake-segment/. The meals you should choose are Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast, lunch.
If you have any questions, please email me or call me.
If you can drive, please email me and I will open up the event to more participants.